Foxtail Grass Dangers

You are here

So far this season, we've been hearing increasing reports of people having to take their dogs to the veterinarian because of foxtail grass being embedded in their paws, ears, or even their nostrils or groin.
 
The grass seed awn of foxtail grass won't dissolve, and it causes pain and infection. It's barbed, so it will keep traveling through tissue one direction, and it can actually be fatal depending on where it ends up. It needs to be removed surgically.
 
Remember to give your dogs a thorough once-over when venturing into outdoor areas with foxtail grass, and avoid it whenever possible by keeping pets on a leash.
 
We hope these images help you identify this menace before it becomes a problem for your pup!
 
These seed awns on foxtails can be dangerous for outdoor cats as well, but it's more commonly a threat for dogs.
 
Resources
safety